Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sisters Making Mud Pies

IMG_3165

Isn’t mud the right subject for the month of March here in NY?

Notice Abby’s happy smile in that block of clay…

IMG_3166

Our friend Christina came to give us lessons on hand-built pottery.

IMG_3168

I’m going to make a casserole dish, about 11x7”.

IMG_3169 

Abby is going to make a coiled bowl.

IMG_3175

Learning to score and sludge it, I mean “slip” it, it looks more like it should be called sludge, to use as glue.

IMG_3173

IMG_3180

Mom is washing dishes all sparkling, and we are spreading mud.

IMG_3182

One casserole dish taking shape.  The walls are still sagging, I have to keep encouraging them to stand back up.

IMG_3184

Now the challenge of making handles that match (!!!!)

IMG_3186

Abby is carefully watching the overall shape of her bowl while she directs each coil into place.

IMG_3189

A damp sponge helps to smooth the uneven spots.

IMG_3209

See the cute little handles she added?

IMG_3212

Now what happened here?  This was going to be a smallish casserole dish!!  I’ll be able to feed lots of company with this size.  I know they shrink when they bake, maybe it will downsize to a 9x13??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So fun to see pictures after I had heard about it. I'm so glad you could do that together. And I know you had fun! :)

Teresa